Sep 5, 2010

Bearing witness


“Twin Mummies”
5x5" watercolor

Contrary to what you might believe, I am not a frustrated botanical artist. Plus, I really do have other things to do today besides painting chrysalises. But how often does one bear witness to a miracle? A friend called today and as I was talking to her, what was a caterpillar a few days ago turned into a chrysalis right before my eyes! If you Google Black Swallowtail Metamorphosis you too can watch this. I am so impressed. It’s almost as if he was swallowed by his own skin. He’s the top one in the painting above. I don’t know if he’ll become the vivid spring green you see in his sister beneath him. I have no idea why one chrysalis is brownish, and another, green. Nature is amazing. I learn from her all the time.

below:
“Preparing for the Afterlife”

5 x 8 1/2" watercolor

1 comment:

  1. I really like these botanical paintings, Brenda. Isn't it wonderful to get up close and observe the miracles of nature? Your paintings bring those miracles to all of us.

    ReplyDelete