Jun 30, 2009

Paint Out at Howell Woods

















“This Way and That”
4x6" oil on panel


Several times I have joined a group of plein air painters organized by watercolor artist Lin Frye, in Johnston County. Last week, our destination was Howell Woods, an environmental learning center, owned and operated by Johnston County Community College. Although there are 2800 acres of natural habitat that include egrets and herons, I got involved with several chickens near a weathered old tobacco barn. A chicken, kinda like happiness, will somehow avoid you if you chase it, but if you ignore it, and find something that you enjoy, it’s likely to come right up to you, and entertain you. I know there’s a better known analogy of happiness to a butterfly, but I’ll stick with chickens for now.

So the tobacco barn drew me, but the chickens became so cooperative, that I couldn’t resist painting a few of them. Anyone interested in tobacco barn paintings needs to contact me. I did two small paintings during the paint out, but have several large oils available, plus at least one watercolor.


No comments:

Post a Comment