Sep 1, 2009

The “Old” Guthrie


“The Guthrie on Vineland”
5 x 7" watercolor

In Minnesota, it may be impolite to talk about the weather. But hey, I’m way far south of there, so maybe I can get by with it. On August 1949, Minnesota had its earliest snowfall. Say what? I have worn wool (fingerless) gloves while painting on the shore of Lake Superior in July. Say winter plein air painting in Minnesota? I don’t think so, Charlie.

I attended A Streetcar Named Desire at this Minneapolis theater in August 1974. In August 2006 I sat down on the steps of the “old” Walker Art Center, and painted this watercolor of the “old” Guthrie Theatre. I often wonder why,
over time, everything around me is getting “old”?

Today, I salute the Guthrie that used to be. Demolition began just four months after I’d done this painting. On a cold day in January 2007, the building was demolished. I remember. I was out somewhere on the Carolina Coast painting winter salt marshes en plein air.

“The Guthrie on Vineland” is available on my web site in the Original Watercolors Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment