Sep 5, 2011

Mixed memories, 1989-1996

duplex on Thomas Ave., 5 ½ x 8 ¾ watercolor
I’m picking up a commission today that will include a rendition of twigs of a plant called bittersweet.

Bittersweet pretty much sums up my feelings when I look at this side-by-side duplex where I once lived. I went in a happy, hopeful half of a newlywed couple. I went out alone looking for the nearest apartment. It is difficult to write about this dwelling without dwelling on the marriage that took me there in the first place.

Skipping the bad stuff.
Realtors tell us to look for the shabbiest house on the block. This house fits the bill. It is situated on a street divided by a beautiful median where I sat to do this watercolor. At the end of the street is a tennis court and just one street east is Lake Harriet, formerly known as “the yuppie lake.” This and the home’s quaint Linden Hills neighborhood make the area one of the most desirable places to live in Minneapolis.

I think you’ll agree the painting looks a little cattywampus. I’m including a photo below that also looks cattywampus. Maybe it’s my view of this place that’s cattywampus, making it impossible for me to take or paint a straight rendition of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment