Apr 22, 2010

Twofer

If you’re a subscriber to my email newsletter (you can be by clicking here), you’ll recognize the large twisted tree in the midground. I featured this legendary tree in my Gallery 100 newsletter last fall. Davie Poplar on the north quad of campus at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. “Frisbee at Davie Poplar” is a painting I worked on simultaneously while painting “Spring at Carolina”. See the latter by clicking Hot Off the Easel, my web blog.
My calligraphic watercolors are a two-step process. First, a very wet, soft background must be painted; then, a hard line calligraphic treatment is sketched on top. The base coat must be completely dry before applying the calligraphic lines. So ultimately, it benefits one to work on two paintings at a time. In this case, simply by turning around, I found two completely different scenes that I felt more than worthy of painting.

“Frisbee at Davie Poplar”, 6.5 x 9.5" watercolor

1 comment:

  1. I like the perspective on this. Also, the looseness of your brushstrokes. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete