Aug 16, 2013

80’s decor

Judy’s room, 7x9" watercolor
Seems the last couple of years, I’ve made it almost a practice, when I travel, to paint my room. I stay in some wonderfully charming guest rooms, so the inspiration is provided. Also, the paintings later make apropos gifts to those who so generously open up their homes to me.

I’d heard of southern hospitality before I moved back to Goldsboro, but now I can say I’ve had the privilege to experience if firsthand. Turns out, both Dan and Jean, my last hosts, are New Yorkers. Jean and I first met in a Frank Webb workshop in the summer of 2004. She and I shared the same station at Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff in Boone, NC. It had been awhile since I’d visited the mountains, so my visit there was past due.

Dan and Jean have two grown daughters. This was the room of their oldest daughter, Judy. The poster has a French name on it as well as the year ’84. Jean told me that’s about the time the room was decorated, but that the carpet had been green. Thanks Judy for the use of your room!


p.s. The shoes (one pair of Mary Jane’s, and one of flip flops), no longer there, are where I put my footprint on the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment