Aug 3, 2013

Rx for too much framing

Raleigh’s Angus Barn, 7x10" watercolor
Of all the posts Google Blogger could mess up, yesterday, through no effort on my part, subscribers received “Rx for short plein air days.” Sorry for that to all who are subscribers. And here we are, less than two weeks after Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year. Rx for the longest days of the year might include sunscreen, a wide-brimmed hat, insect repellent, and some anti-itch remedies.

I had a heck of July. Sales were great. They needed to be. I framed, for the first time, something like thirty-five paintings. These were included in thirty paintings for a show, currently hanging at the Arts Council of Wayne County; four, for a show opening next Wednesday at Overland Gallery in Kinston, NC; three, for commissioned oils; one, for a show August 9 at ArtExposure in Hampstead, NC, plus nine watercolors for Tyler White Gallery in Greensboro, NC. Several pieces received mats only. I haven’t counted those.

With all that, I really needed to squeeze in some painting time just for me. Painting in the city had no appeal to me, so on Wednesday, between drop-offs in Raleigh, I drove up to north Raleigh where I painted a landmark restaurant, The Angus Barn. Red and green in the painting, yes, but certainly not a Christmas-themed painting. The second painting, I focused on making the sky more dominant.

The Angus Barn Too, 7x10" watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment