Sep 24, 2013

R&B + 1

Get-together at the lake cabin, 7 x 9½ watercolor
I used to drink at parties; now I paint. Call me a paintin’ party-pooper. If I had not known I’d be gifting the painting to my hosts, I may have thought twice before withdrawing into my little painting here. I did stop to eat. Wouldn’t you know?

This year and last, hosts Ron and Rena invited my friend Rita and me to their lake cabin on Devil Track Lake. I’ve always thought it strange that people who live on America’s largest lake, have lake cabins inland to which they retreat. Perhaps it’s the privacy and the isolation they seek, the same solitude they were attracted to when they first settled the North Shore of Lake Superior. This year Ron, Rena, Rita, Bob, Bev, and me were joined by someone other than an R or B, Lee, a fellow plein air painter. We let him in though. He’s the one on the FAR LEFT [in the painting]. Lee Englund carries with him the fine distinction of placing third in a competition of 70 artists and over 200 entries in this year’s Grand Marais Plein Air.

I was one of the other 65 artists who didn’t place. I think I’ll drink now.

No comments:

Post a Comment