Oct 24, 2013

Captain Phillips

Gone shrimpin’ 8x10" oil on panel
Last night I went to see the new action-packed movie Captain Phillips with a couple of my Goldsboro girlfriends. The movie kept us on the edges of our seats. Great acting coming from not only Tom Hanks, but from those who played the four Somali pirates. During the movie, I asked my friends, “Wonder where they dug up those Somali actors?” Turns out over 700 Somalis auditioned for the parts in Minneapolis, MN, my former home. There is buzz about that one of them will receive a best supporting actor nomination.

Came home and found in my files the two paintings I did of Capt. Phillips, a shrimp boat that docks in Swansboro, NC. I think I sold one of the paintings, but still have the one below. Just a couple of weeks ago, my painting buddy Robert Rigsby and I painted in Swansboro where Capt. Phillips is usually docked. The boat must have been out shrimping. I feel the space left by it made for an interesting composition in Gone shrimpin’.
Capt. Phillips 2, 6 x 9½ watercolor


No comments:

Post a Comment