Jan 9, 2011

Going to Carolina

Rose time at the sundial, 9x12" watercolor
I’m playing James Taylor’s “Carolina in My Mind” as I write this. I’m gearing up for a spring/summer show in the gallery of Carolina Union at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. This is one of several small studies for the show that I’ve done in the past year. An alumna of the University’s law school now owns this painting. This is one of several small Chapel Hill watercolors she purchased, so I think it is the University in general, not just Morehead Planetarium, to which she has a connection. I hope she comes to the opening of the show in May.

When I matted this painting, I left the edge showing, qualifying this painting as a vignette. This rarely works for me. To think about the outside edges of a painting while maintaining spontaneity within, is a little like scratching my head while patting my stomach.

1 comment: