May 8, 2012

It’s [more than] the cows

Mug shots, 3 ½ x 3 ½" watercolor
Of course, it is the nature of women to nurture. So no doubt this has much to do with not being the first time in my painting escapades that I’ve come across a woman caring for animals. The first time, you may recall, was a year ago when I visited Mary Ellen’s Sea Biscuit Animal Shelter on Oak Island. Click “Pelican Pause” to review.

The color made her blush, 4x6" watercolor
Last Tuesday a paint out with PAINT NC led me to Genesis Farm near Chapel Hill, where Trudy Matheny runs a farm as well as a non-profit organization called NC WOLAN, acronym for NC Women of the Land Agricultural Network. If you’re interested in reading more about women in agriculture, do visit their website.

Those who know me know how much I love animals. Trudy’s animals, many of which were rescued, include three cows named Sister, Moozart, and Charlie, a miniature horse, Patches, a goose named Touilly and scores of chickens. Picturesque as the farmland was, it wasn’t difficult for me to prioritize painting the animals over doing a landscape here. I'll be sharing more of my barnyard animal paintings in future blog posts. I’ve already shared three of them on my Hot Off the Easel blog. Just click here to see.
One tail wagging, 4x6" watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment