May 31, 2011

What paintings do people purchase?

Mary Ellen’s Choice, 5.5 x 3.5 watercolor, N. F. S.
Tim, coiled, 3.5 x 5.5, N.F.S.
It’s really hard to guess what people will purchase in the way of artwork. Last week I sold five oil paintings and a watercolor to a gentleman who is redoing his home on the coast. I’d had one of the paintings since 2007, and had never before had a nibble on it. It could very well have been one of those paintings that come out of the frame, so I can use its frame for a more saleable painting. Another of the paintings I’d had for over a year and had never as much as heard a comment on it. The two paintings represent $1000 in sales. The gentleman who purchased them has as fine a collection of fine art as anyone who has ever honored me with a purchase.

The eye of the needle, 8.5 x 5.5"
Rear view mirror, 8.5 x 5.5"

The paintings I’m sharing today include the two at the top of this post that Mary Ellen, owner of Sea Biscuit Wildlife Shelter, selected from all the paintings I did of Mouth with Feathers and Tim, the pelican. And if you would ask me, these are the least saleable of all the paintings of the two birds. “That’s Tim!” Mary Ellen exclaimed when she selected Tim, coiled as the painting she wanted of the pelican. My opinion of Tim in this particular painting is that he more resembles a snake than a bird, and with Mary Ellen’s Choice, one cannot see the mouth that so identifies the bird Mouth with Feathers.

Never ask me to identify an art market.

Roosting 1, 6 x 8.5"
Roosting 2, 5.5 x 8.5"

No comments:

Post a Comment